Hello Everybody!
Figured I would begin with something other than "holy crow". I didn't realize how much I used that phrase until I looked over past posts.
If you were to look at me right now, you'd probably be giving the bruises on my arms a really weird look. No worries. Along with my passion for Crossfit, my husband and I also practice Krav Maga. We will be eligible to test for our next belt after Saturday. This week was working on blocking and well, what do you use to block? Your forearms! Yeah, my forearms are covered in bruises because in class, the way you say you like someone is to hit hard! LOL! On the bright side, I always give as good as I get.
Enough with my bruises and love of fighting. Onto my Unit 7 post!
I am kind of proud of myself with this meditation. I actually was in "the zone" for at least 5 minutes! That is 4 minutes better than any of my other attempts! Hooray!!! Another accomplishment, I kept at it. If I got distracted, I started over. Finally, I was able to get myself under control and be guided on this exercise.
I was shocked to see that my inner healer was a short, bald guy dressed as a monk, and had a toothy grin. I have no idea where that image came from. My original image was of the chiropractor I worked with before we moved to Ohio, but the image kept messing up. I would focus on her face, but it would mess up and this other image would come in. It reminded me of an old tv set with rabbit ears that you had to arrange in just the right way to keep the channel clear. After a few minutes of this, I just got tired of trying to tune the channel, so I let go and let the toothy monk take the stage.
This meditation was going along ok, I was feeling warm and comfortable with my monk. That is until it got to the part of assuming the form of the monk. I was resistant to that. I think because I am a woman and, for the most part, I've enjoyed it. I didn't want to assume the form of my male monk. Sue me.
I remember mentioning how I have found myself doing my loving-kindness meditation while I am in the middle of a WOD. I am happy to say that I found myself doing it again today, which make a total of two times this week. Afterwards, as I was sitting in my car in the parking lot, I realized how much this has changed me. Unfortunately this week, I was told of some deaths that had happened over the course of a few days. The bright side, it wasn't within my family. However, the deaths occurred to family members of people I knew and cared about. When I heard the news of each passing, I felt sad for the ones going through it. I said a prayer, but I also pictured the person in my mind. I met them in a bright meadow filled with beauty and life. Then I hugged them and filled myself up with love and light and let it pass to them. That may sound either really sweet or really creepy depending on who reads this.
In the past, I would have just said a prayer and let it be. Now, I felt compelled to send them extra love and light to help them get through this difficult time.
Wow, this is getting to be a long post, so let me wrap it up. In regards to that saying about not being able to lead another without having gone there yourself, I fully agree! As health professionals, we are living examples of the ideas we are trying to teach to our patients. How can we fully expect them to do something that we, ourselves, are not willing to do? The truth is, we can't. I always try to stay mindful of that fact. By walking the line, I become more than just a person standing up front saying "Do this, do that!" I become an example of how to do it and a reference to help someone if they get stuck or frustrated.
TTFN: Tata For Now!
-Mel
Mel, I enjoyed your blogs every single week. They actually make me laugh out loud (LOL) :) I think it is so awesome that you enjoy doing such physical fighting for fitness so to speak. I can tell you that is not what I would do EVER:) I would never want someone to hit at me. Yikes!! How cool that you are improving on your meditation techniques I think that is amazing. I'm sure the people that you care about feel all the loving kindness that you send their way and I bet they really appreciate it. 100% agree on leading by example, but I also know not to judge anyone because I haven't walked in their shoes:)
ReplyDeleteHave a fantastic week,
Rachel
I agree with your point, Rachel. Not being judgmental plays a big part in how we deal with our patients. I understand that there is no way I will ever be able to experience every single thing that another person has gone through or is going through. I am so glad you brought that up because I don't ever want someone to think that I am perfect or trying to be a "Pollyanna". On the other side, though, I feel that the things that I will be trying to teach to my patients (eating healthy, exercising, and doing it all within a budget) are things I have done and continue to do. That was the perspective I was thinking of when I talked about walking the line. Any thoughts?
DeleteI wonder if the image of the monk wouldn’t go away because that is the common picture of what most people think of when they think of meditation practices. I can see Ace Ventura Pet Detective in a temple surrounded by animals connecting to his inner peace and reaching his deep consciousness. Crazy thought but that is what I think of when I meditate because apparently I have seen that movie one too many times when I was younger. Congrats on making it for five minutes. I think all it takes is baby steps and realizing that those small steps still require a little victory dance to allow yourself to continue on the path to enlightenment.
ReplyDeleteDo you think that individuals are skeptical of their doctors or nurses saying they need to lose weight or cut calories if the professionals themselves are obviously above the normal body mass index? Do you think that if a fit and healthy professional advised a diet or exercise regimen that it would be easier for individuals to follow since they see that it has worked for their health care taker?