Monday, November 12, 2012

Mental Fitness

Blogging with a soon to be 23 month old in your lap is no easy feat.

So far in this course, we are learning how to train and cultivate our mind through mindful meditation.  Mental fitness is an often overlooked part of health and wellness.  More often than not, we just assume that if the body is in peak physical condition, then so is the mind.  However, that isn't always the case.  I don't think anyone would argue that there isn't a certain mental workout accompanying a tough physical workout.  But I believe that being mentally fit requires a little more work.

Dacher talks about training the mind like an Olympian trains their body (Dacher, 2006).  The mind responds to training just like the body; maybe even more so since there are no limits to what our mind is capable of.  When I think of mental training, I mostly think in terms of stress management techniques.  However, I am learning that there are more ways to train the mind than just being able to handle stressful situations. 

I mentioned in my other post about the Luminosity website and the use of games and puzzles to help with mental agility.  I am sure we have all heard of "brain teasers"; riddles, puzzles, or calculations designed to get us to think "outside the box".  To be honest, I've never considered myself very good at brain teasers, although I love attempting them.  Especially brain teasers designed to test your logic.  On that note, I will post a brain teaser that I got off the website

http://www.intelligencetest.com/puzzles/logic.htm

Before you go to the website to get the solution, try and figure it out yourself.

"A man is asked what his daughters look like.  He answers, "They are all blondes, but two, all brunettes, but two, and all redheads, but two". How many daughters did he have?"


References:
Dacher, E. S. (2006). Integral health: the path to human flourishing.
 Laguna Beach, CA. Basic Health Publications.

Brain Training Games. (2011). Retrieved on November 12, 2012 from
http://www.intelligencetest.com/puzzles/logic.htm

TTFN: Tata For Now
Mel


2 comments:

  1. Hello Melissa. The mind can control us in so many ways and it is how we learn to control it that makes us the way we are. If we were someone who flits off at someone because we didn't like what they were doing, how would that make us feel? I believe the word "regretful" would come to the forefront of our mind. Learning to control our thoughts before we speak, could lesson the number of negative feelings we have with ourself and the regrets we obtain from our "quick" mouths. I started the exercise we were to practice this week, but I found I couldn't continue with the practice. I had trouble with my spirit and felt that it was an area of practice that I could't partake in living. How did you feel about the exercise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, Wow I haven't gone to the website yet for the brain teaser, but I am completely confused and have no idea. I'm not gonna lie, I do not enjoy that kind of brain teaser, it makes me feel really dumb when I look up the answer it's like a duh ding dong why couldn't you figure that out:) I agree with Tabitha and felt I needed work on the spiritual aspect of mind, body, soul connection and have since discovered that I was more spiritual than I realized in my everyday life. I find that breathing with meditation or yoga works for me and I also like to go the chiropractor for alignment of my physical body. I will put my answer out there before I go look and I would say the number is 6 daughters.. I'm quite sure that is wrong.. but that's my best guess:)
    Happy Thanksgiving to you:)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete