Saturday, November 3, 2012

Me, Myself, and I

Wow...unit 3 already.

I am going to be honest and say that I don't really like rating myself.  I am not one of those people that think that their crap don't stink (you know who I'm talking about, you probably have had the dubious pleasure of running into at least one person that fits this description).  On the contrary, I tend to be overly critical of myself.

I won't go into much more detail than to just say that I have finally come to accept myself and be comfortable in my skin.  So when it comes to rating myself, even something as innocent as our Unit 3 blog exercise, my nose wrinkles like I've caught a whiff of a dead skunk.

Oh, well; nothing like pushing past your comfort zone.  Let the rating begin!

For my physical health, I will say that I am currently at an 8.  I Crossfit 4 times a week and practice Krav Maga 2 times a week.  Plus, I chase a very energetic, soon-to-be-two-year old throughout the day.  My husband and I enjoy running 5ks, although I am usually pushing a loaded down running stroller, and we also enjoy tackling obstacle courses like the Mudathalon.

I still have goals that I am working on, such as getting 5 consecutive strict pullups, a 250lb deadlift, a 200lb back squat, and getting my next belt in Krav Maga.  The way to achieve these goals is to practice, practice, practice and step back into the rack.  Nutrition also plays a key and I have been working with my coach for a while to help dial that in.  She also threw in an extra rest day to keep me from burning out.

In the psychological department, I tend to lean toward the hardy personality type, so I will say that I am at a 6.5.  I'm rating myself this way because I wasn't always good at handling stress, especially in my younger years.  It took a little more life experience, a whole lot of perspective, and learning some excellent coping techniques for me to be where I am.   But there is always room for improvement.

I think the best way to improve my score in the psychological department is to continue to use the techniques I have learned so that they become more of a second nature.  Maybe taking the time to train my mind toward Olympic mental health would also help.  This might mean me trying some new coping techniques that may seem a little silly to me at first, like diaphragmatic breathing.  I understand taking a deep cleansing breath to help calm down, I do use that.  But the technique of breathing that fills up your stomach and chest, I just never got in to.

As far as my spiritual health, that is a little difficult to rate.  How do you rate something like that? Is it by the number of times you go to church (I haven't been in years)? Or maybe how many times you pray or just talk to God (which I do a lot)?  Is it just having faith (which I do)?  I just don't know. 

I know the exercise clearly states that I have to give this aspect of myself a rating, but I just don't know on what basis to rate it.  So I will put my self right smack in the middle at a 5; I am neither at the lowest optimal health, nor am I at the highest. 

I am not even sure how to increase my health in this area.  I guess meditating would be a start, but I can't say I ever really liked to meditate.  Maybe doing some volunteer work would help me increase my spiritual health.  Loving-Kindness is one of the skills we learned about in this unit, and with that skill comes the realization that we are all interconnected.  Maybe volunteering would be a way to help.

TTFN: TaTa For Now
-Mel

2 comments:

  1. Mel,

    I think we are all on a journey in developing our spiritual health. For some people like me I need my weekly "dose" of church to get some spiritual leading, teaching, and participate in worship. It's very life-giving to me and feeds my faith. For others it may be through volunteering and spending time hands on with people. That is awesome! I think we can connect spiritually to God on many levels! It may be getting alone in nature and having a time of prayer or giving thanks for that rambuctious 2 year old you chase around. We get caught up in many should's when I think it is much simpler than that. No rules... God knows each of us and knowing what ways of connecting spiritually works for you is so important! I love your honesty in your blog! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel,

    I have been rather down on myself lately and unlike others I am not so religious. I used to be but I haven't really ever felt connected to organized religion (namely Catholicism, as most of my Italian family is). Please anyone that reads this know that I am not anti-God or anything like it but I find the confines of a church and scripted responses are not my thing. I will say the thing I miss is the closeness and caring of a congregation. Someone recently told me of a non-dominational gathering of people who celebrate, in a semi-Christian sense, life through song and sharing. Maybe that would bring me some much needed peace. I guess it wouldn't hurt to explore.....

    ReplyDelete