That is a heck of a name for a relaxation exercise.
When I first saw it, I didn't read the whole thing, I just saw Crime of the Century and I thought "Cool! A murder mystery".
Yes, I know, I'm a dork.
First off, when that guy got to the heart region and said the color emerald green, did anyone else suddenly see the Emerald City from the Wizard of Oz? Ok, how many of you started humming "We're Off To See The Wizard"? Check on both for me.
Please see above phrase "Yes, I know, I'm a dork".
Ok, for this exercise, it was a little difficult for me to stay in the moment. I kept trying to fall asleep or my mental secretary was just reminding me of some random bits of stuff. Although, each time he mentioned a new color, I could see it in my mind. I didn't feel any warm sensations like I did the last time, but then again, that wasn't part of the meditation.
I don't know if this was beneficial or not. I mentioned in a previous post that I am not that in to meditating. Nothing against the practice, if it works for you that's great! I just always got a little bored with it.
Hmmm...that's really all I have to say about this particular exercise.
TTFN: TaTa For Now
-Mel
Your post made me laugh. I was very thrown off by the title of this relaxation technique as well and I do think the method was a tad bit long. Some people can sit still, in silence while listening to the instructions from the exercise, while others (like yourself) get bored. I don't think there is anything wrong with that it just means that you need a customized way to relax. Do you have some ways that you prefer than the use of meditation?
ReplyDeleteMelissa,
ReplyDeleteI'm not the best with meditation and relaxation exercises either. My mind wonders like non other. But I guess maybe the more we practice it may get better. I love your image of the Emerald Green City. I didn't have that myself but I laughed reading your post!
Ashley
Melissa,
ReplyDeleteYou're so funny lol. I had a lot of trouble focusing on this exercise as well. I could picture the colors but it was very odd for me to picture them coming out of me and I thought waaay to much about "how" they were coming out of these little holes than I was about what they were suppose to represent. I felt relaxed but my mind was everywhere! haha. But sorry I can't say I thought of the Wizard of Oz with the emerald green part lol. All I thought was..wouldn't you use the color red for by your heart?? Like I said...I got too wrapped up in these colors!!
Jerrica
Mel I did not experience the vision of wizard of oz until I read your post and now that song is repeating in my head. I dont remember what i was thinking during the exercise but I do know that my mind did not reel from thought to thought afterward. I would use the term "clarity" maybe more so than relaxation.
ReplyDeleteHi Melissa,
ReplyDeleteI was quite thrown off by the title too! I had a hard time with the colors & feeling certain sensations as stated in the audio. I have enjoyed meditating and doing relaxing exercises in the past, but my stress & anxiety has really gotten a hold of me. Especially since my son's father made a life-changing mistake. He is still in our lives, which makes it difficult at times. But it just leaves me feeling distressed a lot because I don't live in the same state as my family- they live clear across country from me!
Hi Melissa
ReplyDeleteYour log was so funny because I was thinking the same things as well. It seemed odd to me to use green for my heart. All I kept thinking about was little green men running around a forest. It was difficult for me to relate green to love. I find it very difficult to relax when I am trying to remain focused on mediating. Sometimes I think people with ADD like me should be excused from meditation since it seems to be an impossible task. I have always thought of orange as color that I would never wear. That's all I could think of during the orange part of the exercise.