Howdy, everybody!
Already into week 8, which means (gulp), we will be working on final projects soon.
I will let that sink in for a moment. While it is sinking, here is a picture of my oldest "son", Duke
More specifically, a pic of Duke and my son when he was about a month old. Can you see the love? Since one of our discussion board posts dealt with the human/animal bond, I thought this picture would be awesome. Take another moment to enjoy the warm fuzzies that should be running up and down your body. If you aren't feeling them, you must be that one person that didn't cry at the end of Old Yeller. In that case, please delete me bro.
Onto my Unit 8 post! Dinner is smelling really good...I love my freakin crock pot! I put in ingredients and out comes food that is edible and even delicious! It's like magic!
Ok, back on point! These past few weeks have been really interesting for me. We all know that I am not that interested in meditation, so I had to really think about which exercises I would like to try and continue with. One would be the loving-kindness prayer (I really dislike meditation; I can't even put that word there lol) that I do during my WODs. This really centers me while I am working and I have found that I can hang in the land of suck-ville for a lot longer than I use to. My breathing is better and my focus is...well...more focused. I have also noticed that after it is all done and I am packing me and my son back into the car to head home, I feel really connected with whomever I was praying for. It's like the miles in between us don't really matter. I can feel them next to me. I wonder if they feel something...?
After much consideration, I have to admit that I really enjoyed meeting my inner healer. He looked so interesting and wise, but not so wise that he didn't enjoy a good joke every now and then. I think I would like to see what I can learn from him. This might sound crazy (big surprise there, right?), but I think I will try to visit him when I workout. This seems to help with the loving-kindness prayer. Maybe it just might work. I could try to alternate them. So far I can do the loving-kindness at least once a week, sometimes twice a week. Maybe I might be able to visit my healer that much too....
I believe that these two exercises will help me get "mentally" fit. I've already mentioned above some things I have noticed just by doing the loving-kindness prayer. I'm thinking that my inner healer might be able to teach me a thing or two as well. When I workout, my mind is still and calm. This makes for a great setting to get some cosmic knowledge. Who knows, I might even get to meet the cosmic knowledge fish!
(That last was a reference to Muppets in Space. If you don't know who the Muppets are, please delete me bro).
TTFN: Tata For Now
-Mel
Correction: it was a reference to Muppets From Outer Space. My bad. I love the Muppets!
ReplyDeleteOh I am going to miss these blogs from you. You have a way of making all of this fun and you always bring a smile with your side stories and tidbits of information. I am sorry to hear that you can not call the meditation by its name but I am happy to hear that you are at least utilizing the practice. What makes you so against the name? Do you think you will continue the use of loving-kindness prayer and visualization after this class?
ReplyDeleteHi Mel,
ReplyDeleteThe picture of your dog and son is adorable. I think it is amazing how the family dog can fall in love with a new baby and want to protect him. I had a friend who had a baby and when he started to walk to dog would walk right alongside him trying to protect him. It was adorable. I also am not very interested in meditation so this class was a little challenging for me. I have a very hard time turning off my brain to everything else. I also chose the loving kindness for one of my choices. I feel like this could really help me have more compassion for others. That is great that you were able to see your inner healer hopefully this will help you in the future.
-Ashley
Mel,
ReplyDeleteYou got me. I had you pegged as a German Shepard kinda gal! However Duke is very handsome and the picture is wonderful. Yes, I can see the love. I had an Akita who was like that with my oldest son, she was amazing as was their relationship.
I too chose loving-kindness as I think many of us could find that sort mindset beneficial throughout life. There are many more who need to as well. Anyway it seems your "prayers" are serving you well and it is great that you seem to want to continue the practice. Do you find yourself ever thinking about thinhgs differently because of this class? I do, I have noticed more positivity in my actions and thoughts and even though sometimes I struggle with the control of the chatter it seems to be getting easier. I wish you much peace and happiness always.....
Robin
Hi Melissa,
ReplyDeleteI love the picture! That is adorable. I think the loving-kindness practice for me as well is one of my choices. Whether I actually do the practice or not is another thing. For me, meditation practices are something I really should be doing because I have an anxiety disorder. I recently realized that much of my childhood I had been quite a nervous kid. I think that if I made myself do at least 1 10-15 minuets of meditation every day, it would be very beneficial. By the way, I LOVE the muppets! I just bought the Muppets Christmas Carole on blue-ray! Ahhh... childhood memories! I love being able to share my old favorites with my son (20 months-old now!)
Good luck with everything!